Java Software Engineer – Be Empowered, Awesome, and have your Head in the Cloud
About Giant Media
We are a growing company with about 25 employees. Our tech team works in Kansas City and we have offices in Los Angeles and New York along with remote people throughout the nation. We collaborate remotely with Slack, Zoom, GitHub and email. We also fly people to the same location to work together. We’ve become pretty good at communicating as a distributed team.
We are flexible with the events life throws at us. Babysitter calls in sick, flat tire, need to focus with no distractions, or you have to go to the DMV, that’s totally understandable and we are supportive of that. Work should fit into your life.
What’s your expectations? Do great work. Work really hard. We expect you to be self-directed and self-motivated. Our customers don’t play from 9 to 5, so we don’t either. There will be nights and weekends (not common, but it does happen). Wildly exceed our expectations.
We look for people with big ideas and tiny egos. There are no sacred cows at Giant Media. No matter what your “job” is, you’re welcome to suggest better ways of doing anything. Sales can suggest ways to improve the apps, and engineers can propose marketing campaigns. We’re all in this thing together and we believe that everyone has a stake in the whole company.
On the flip side, “That’s not my job” isn’t in our vocabulary. Make it your job.
We want you to be excited at the end of the day when you made something new or better. If this sounds like you…we want to hear from you!
What will you do?
As a Software Engineer, you will work closely with other members of the engineering team to improve and expand our suite of products. You will help us continue to innovate in the digital advertising space. Primary duties include:
- Developing Web Applications: At the core of every engineer’s job is building out web applications including our Dashboards, Video Units, Ad Exchange, Metrics & Analytics Products, Earned Media Platform and new products we haven’t released yet!
- Machine Learning Innovation: Integration with 3rd party machine learning systems as well as in-house algorithms are a huge part of Giant’s targeting differentiator. This position will need to innovate to continually improve and expand Giant’s data-centric systems.
- Manage AWS Resources: Our entire product suite currently runs on servers within AWS and as an engineer you will help us deploy new services and manage existing architecture.
- Solve Big Data Challenges: We deal with a lot of traffic at Giant Media, so part of your role will be to help us continually evolve our data pipeline to help us answer more questions, more quickly.
- Mentor Engineers: Part of our team’s culture is mentoring other engineers. We are constantly learning and growing together. This takes place through regular engineering team presentations and 1-on-1 mentorship.
What are we looking for?
- Experience with data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
- Large-scale, distributed systems design and development experience with a strong understanding of scaling, performance and scheduling
- Strong AWS Experience
- A desire to take on a technology leadership role
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or equivalent on-the-job experience
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following abilities:
- Communication (written & oral): Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish, develop and maintain business relationships. Must also have the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Adaptability: Must love working on a variety of types of projects; demonstrate willingness to learn new things and take challenges head-on in a fast-paced environment with quickly shifting priorities.
- Passion for technology: Must be excited for new technology and have a positive attitude towards solving real world challenges.
- Results-Oriented and Data Driven: Must be a data driven decision maker who loves impacting the bottom line.
What do we offer?
- Compensation: Competitive salary based on your experiences.
- Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401k with employer match included, open vacation policy – employees have freedom to take time off as needed.
- Food & Drinks: Catered lunch twice a week, snacks and drinks.
- Social: We routinely have social events, both in and out of the office.
Is This You?
Giant Media isn’t for everyone. If you want a big company with lots of bureaucracy, red tape and playing office politics, this isn’t your scene.
But if you’re looking for an opportunity to show off the very best of your skills, in an environment of trust, respect and flexibility, this might very well be the best job you ever have. We look for people who are self-driven, intelligent, collaborative, and serious about their work but don't take themselves too seriously. If you share this passion, let’s talk.